Archive Paintings for Sale

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Plein Air travel Paint kit - low budget edition

 For sometime now I have been wanting to expand my on location sketching to full on plein air painting.  Currently I do most my sketching on site and later add the watercolor washes at home. In preparation for a trip to New York and Toronto with hopes to do some good urban sketching I decided to put together a plein air travel painting kit. I didn't want to spend too much money on a travel paint kit so after doing a little research I decided to make a palette out of an Altoids container with water bottle caps for the paint wells.

My kit includes:
- Altoids pallet with M. Graham watercolors colors- burnt sienna, ultra marine blue, cerulean blue, raw sienna, alizarin crimson, payne's grey and hookers green. 
- Nature Sketch 5"x7" sketchbook (this is an inexpensive sketchbook that does great with watercolor washes) 
- Stillman and Birns 8 1/2" x 11" alpha sketchbook
- Escoda Perla Z travel brush 
- Pentel Aqua Brush 
- Small plastic water container (from my backpacking stuff)
- Sepia Micron .005 pen 
staedtler lumocolor pen

I tested out the kit on a nice day at Cathedral Park along the Willamette river in North Portland
here are some of the sketches, it worked really well except the aqua brush is a little small for my style and its very difficult to get the right amount of water. It will take getting used to. 


plein air travel paint kit 




"old boat willamette river "
5"x7" Nature Sketchbook

"docked sailboat "
5"x7" Nature Sketchbook
"NW Industrial on the Willamette"
5"x7" Nature Sketchbook















Soon I will be posting sketches from the East Coast trip.


2 comments: