Archive Paintings for Sale

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Travel Sketching - Toronto




5"x7" Annex Neighborhood

Earlier this month I found myself in Toronto, Ontario Canada. Why was I there in March after one of the worst winters in history? It’s a long story but in short we were on the East Coast for my brother’s wedding and decided to do a side trip to Toronto. Toronto has a lot of great Architecture and neighborhoods just asking to be sketched but my hopes of doing a load of outdoor urban sketching and painting were dampened by the 15-30 deg F weather. I did however make the best of it and was able to do a bit of sketching from inside looking out windows and also at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and Ripley’s Aquarium.  Below are the results from my sketchbooks, these were done in my 8 ½” x 11” Stillman and Birns Alpha sketchbook and the small ones are from a 5”x7” ”Nature Sketch” sketchbook.


5"x7" Flat Iron Building

5"x7" Small House Cabbage Town

5" x7" old barn in Cabbage Town

 


17" x11" "Houses on Marchmount Street"
8 1/2" x 11" "New meets Old"  Outside of the ROM


17"x11" sketch compilation from the ROM


17" x11" sketch compilation Ripley's Aquarium
5" x7" "House on Marchmount Street"

Soon I will be posting sketched from part 2 of the trip Niagara Falls.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful winterscapes. Like your paint palette very much especially the sky in 'barn in Cabbage Town' and 'new meets old'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb its a limited pallet since I have to fit all my paint in a Altoids box. I mainly use Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber, Cerulean Blue and Ultra Marine Blue.

    ReplyDelete